Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Starting Strength Review

This is a review on both the starting strength program and the book that goes with it. Although I haven't done the exact workout program I have done the exact exercises, techniques and workout parameters that are described for the program and in the book.

The book is a great tool to use if you are new to lifting or are looking to try out heavy compound lifts for the first. It is especially good if you have any kind of kinesiology or mechanics background as the book goes in to great detail about how the muscles work during each lift. This makes it easier to understand why the particular form of the exercises is so important and how it affects the particular muscles that are being used. The book also includes additional exercises and stretches that will supplement the program and maximize the users results. If you are planning to workout for the first time, I recommend getting this book even if you done plan on using the workout program as it can still be useful as source of valuable information that will still help you.

If you are unsure as to whether you want to try it or not, I can tell you that the majority of what I have experienced from these exercises has been positive and an improvement to my body. The exercises I am talking about are heavy compound lifts like the squat, dead lift, bench press, etc. as well as different variations of them. Most of what I noticed was an increase in strength and an increase in muscle and body weight. I also became more flexible especially in the hips and legs and my core became stronger. Doing these lifts also helped with other exercises, mainly isolation exercises, and increased ability to do everyday activities and physically demanding tasks. This is because a lot of these exercises mimic natural movement patterns of the human body that you would use for tasks such as picking a heavy box up off the floor and setting it on a high shelf. I would definitely recommend trying this program out if you haven't already.

No comments:

Post a Comment